Saturday, February 16, 2013

Class II Slave I | Boba Fett Style



So I was strolling through Target this week and just happened to get there on stock day. I look down and there's Jango Fett's Slave I sitting right on the front of the shelf. Just $19.99 but wow the box was tiny!! I knew I had to be dealing with an abbreviated version but wow this box was tiny and light too. I expected at least for this to be the size of the Target Exclusive a few years back but still I didn't know HOW it would fit in this box. Anyway enough about the box… it's small.


GeekSummit Class II BobaFett Slave Repaint Custom Vintage Trilogy Star Ship Han Solo in Carbonite
Before Blackwash
After BlackWash


So since I'm not a prequel guy I decided to give this hunk'a'plastic a makeover, or a work over since we are aging it about 30 years. The bottom "bell" of the Slave I is one piece along with the shoulders that host the rutters so I took just the bell and sprayed it with a Rustoleum Brown Boots satin finish. It proved a little glossy so I went back over with a matte finish. For the shoulders, bumper and loading dock I mixed up a green and then dirtied it with black and mixed it again. So now I have made this Slave I "NEW" with this alternate paint scheme, it's time to knock a few years into it.

I mixed up a darker gray to match the bit on the tailfin and went to replace a few panels along the top of the body and front. I used my Target Exclusive as a general reference but the panels were split up a little different so there was some liberties taken. For the more weathered panels I took my flat brush in between coats on the solid panels and I just ran it from the seams inward with lifting strokes as drybrush. That left just that slight bit of color creating a weathered metal.

Finishing off I mixed a little light gray to match the original body color and went back to work on the bell again. I used my broad strokes to wear down the very edges of the bell and then drybrushed in my weathering using the same method as I did on the upper body. Start in the seams and brush inward with lifting strokes.

There we are. The Mandalorian Manhunter is ready for duty. That's it really. I just wanted to post this up.

UPDATE: After about a week of admiring this piece I did come back with a blackwash (mostly water) and it really brought some scale to the ship. Gave it a nicely weathered look that it was still surprisingly missing.

• Before Blackwash •

GeekSummit Class II BobaFett Slave Repaint Custom Vintage Trilogy Star Ship Han Solo in CarboniteGeekSummit Class II BobaFett Slave Repaint Custom Vintage Trilogy Star Ship Han Solo in Carbonite


GeekSummit Class II BobaFett Slave Repaint Custom Vintage Trilogy Star Ship Han Solo in CarboniteGeekSummit Class II BobaFett Slave Repaint Custom Vintage Trilogy Star Ship Han Solo in Carbonite

• With Blackwash •








No comments:

Post a Comment