Saturday, March 3, 2012

MattyCollector Scale GhostBusters Fire House Facade Custom Diorama

So my daughter and I were tooling around with styrofoam like I was saying earlier and I guess Lance Cardinal's work got me thinking… Having the Kenner firehouse is cool and all but its kinda a shi##y scale… so away to HobbyLobby we went in search of better matterials since before we were just practicing with some scrap from a school project.

I picked up a sheet of 2'x3' 1/2" foamboard with the paper on both sides.  Immediately I peeled one side off…. it bowed up like a … piece of foamboard with only one side reinforced… so I peeled the other side and it layed down like a board… perfect.

So before I jumped in too deep I took out a sheet of graph paper and just quickly established my scale. I wanted the door on the first floor to have the access door be 7" so it would be to scale with the 6" figures but the door over all would be 9" to be more to scale with a old timey firehouse door. Overall it brought the entire facade to be 31" tall by 14" wide.


I cut my board to size as prescribed in the sketch.


Traced out my details in sharpie and magic marker and added some detail impressions...


Knocked out my windows and set excess aside for window measurements...


Added ledges with double sided tape...


Added… butresses??? to top ledge...


Built windows and doors out of foamboard and cardstock...


Primed all pieces individually...


Painted brick with a mixture of red and black and deepened stonework with black wash...


Attached windows and glass and then gave a final dusting of black overall.


Viola!!! Facade with scale references!! I apologize… The carpet's filthy...






No comments:

Post a Comment